Friday 28 May 2010

Anxiety! Anxiety!! Anxiety!!!(*I'm having one of those moments where you spell an everyday word and it just looks strange - I had to give it a go three times - still looks strange*)

Anxiety always sounds like one of those words that we associate with big events in our lives like "Am I going to pass my GCSE's?", "Am I going to be the successful one?", "Will I ever get married?", "Why can't I put on any weight?", "Why do I keep putting on the pounds?", "I don't have the resources to meet my needs?", "Am I really getting old & when do I start losing all my teeth (this is major for me especially the teeth part - details to follow)?". In Life, we just get so burdened with these kind of thoughts that they become "part of us" - they are like a constant unseen partner.

...and then there are the small major things that we get anxious about but because they are so insignificant, we think "I'm allowed to worry about this, it's not such a big deal!". Perfect example - I get up this morning and all of the 20 minute drive to work, I am working myself up with the fact that "The IRON is ON!!". I'm smiling writing this because we all have these moments - "The gas is on", "I left a towel on the heater" and God bless my imagination, I tortured myself with images of "the iron" burning through my bed & setting fire to my apartment. Help us Lord!.

Right now, I just reminded myself of Philippians 4:6-7 "Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life"

It sounds really funny but I just sat here having my morning toast and I said "Jesus, I'm going to have a heart attack if I keep thinking my flat is burning down at this moment with my passport in there and it is holiday season. I trust you in this situation. I will not fret. I will not worry about the big things like losing my teeth and about the tiny things like this iron-situation. If for any reason I need to be at my flat, let me know. If not, I am going to have a beautiful Friday and feel your wholeness over this day".

Funny thing was after I said this, I got a very clear image of Fire trucks pulling into the building but I AM NOT GOING TO WORRY (it is a very conscious decision).

Have a worry free weekend & Enjoy every minute of it.

xoxo